Amador County, California Genealogy
Amador County, California genealogy and family history research page. Identify links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you locate your own Amador Co., ancestors. Get going by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Amador County Quick Facts
- Government Website: http://www.co.amador.ca.us/
- County Seat: Jackson
- Created Date / Origin: May 11, 1854 from Calaveras County
- Boundary Changes:
- Most of present Amador County territory was in Calaveras County from 1850 until 1854 when it was separated to create Amador County.
- Territory was in El Dorado County from 1850 until 1855 when it was added to Amador County.
- Territory was in El Dorado County from 1850 until 1857 when it was added to Amador County.
- Territory was in El Dorado County from 1850 until 1863 when it was added to Amador County.
- Named After: Jose Maria Amador, soldier, rancher and miner, who was born in San Francisco in 1794, the son of Sergeant Pedro Amador, a Spanish soldier who settled in California in 1771. In 1848, Jose Maria Amador, with several Indians, established a successful gold mining camp near the present town of Amador. In Spanish, the word amador means “one who loves.”
- Bordering Counties: Calaveras County (south), San Joaquin County (southwest), Sacramento County (west), El Dorado County (north), Alpine County (east)
- Cities & Towns: Amador City, Ione, Jackson, Plymouth, Sutter Creek
- Other Communities: Buckhorn, Buena Vista, Drytown, Fiddletown, Ham's Station, Martell, Pine Grove, Pioneer, Volcano
Amador County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Amador County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also California Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- California State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Amador County Archives, 12200-A Airport Rd., Jackson, CA 95642; Phone:(209) 223-6389
- Amador County Historical Society, 148 Main Street, Suite A, Jackson, CA 95642 - (209) 257-1485
- Amador County Library, 530 Sutter Street, Jackson, CA 95642;
Phone: (209) 223-6400
- Amador - Livermore Valley Historical Society, P.O. Box 573, Pleasanton 94566
- Amador County, California Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Amador County
- Amador County, California Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Amador County
- USGenWeb Archives for Amador County (usgwarchives.net)
Amador County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the advantages of Amador County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Hidden away in California courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many California inhabitants.
The possibilities are great that your potential forefathers have left a detailed document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Amador County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Courthouse History - After an 1862 fire destroyed the county's first courthouse as well as many of the buildings in downtown Jackson, a stone-and-brick courthouse was constructed on the original site. In 1893, a building similar in size and design was constructed next to the courthouse for use as the Hall of Records. An alley separated the two buildings until 1939, when both buildings were enclosed in an art deco exterior. The combined building is still in use as Amador's courthouse.
Remember to get in touch with the clerk's dept to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of employees will assist persons in obtaining the materials, but it's up to the person to do the research.
Some counties encompass land settled in the eighteenth century; their records pre-date county formation. Land transactions and vital records recorded in the county are at the county recorder's office. The county clerk general has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be in either place, depending on how filed.
The following facts indicates whatever marriage, birth, death, land, wills, and court records will be in Amador County. The years indicated below are considered the first widely known records for this county. Courthouse destroyed by fire in 1862. Some records were destroyed. Land from El Dorado County was added in 1855 and again in 1857 and 1863.
- Amador County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Amador County Recorder-Clerk is s responsible for examination and recording of all documents presented for recording that deal with establishing ownership of land in the County or as required by statute; administers the real property transfer tax law and maintains a permanent record and indexes of all documents for public viewing plus providing certified copies requested by the public; recording of all lawful documents such as deeds, deeds of trust, judgments, liens, affidavits, Uniform Commercial Code Financial Statements, etc; and the filing of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.
- Birth / Death Records: 1873
- Marriage Records: 1854
- Land Records: 1854
- Amador County Clerk of Superior Court has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be here or in the Recorders Office, depending on how it was filed.
- Probate Records: 1854
- Court Records: 1854
- Amador County County Treasurer / Tax Collector
- California Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in California for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
California Historical Records
- Databases include California Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; California Birth, Marriage & Death Records; California Voter Lists & Census Records; California Immigration & Emigration Records; California Obituary Records; California Military Records; California Family Tree Records; California Pictures; California Stories, Memories & Histories; California Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Amador County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Amador County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is basically a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Amador County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Amador Co. CA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- See Also Statewide Newspapers, Books & Publications Links for California
- Historical Newspapers from California (1813 - 1978) (genealogybank.com) Easily identify names and keywords in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements along with other items written in over 2,800 historical U.S. newspapers. Completely new content added each month!
- Amador County, California Books (amazon.com)
- California Newspapers
- Search California Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com) Over 28 million obituaries containing helpful information such as names, dates, places of birth, death, marriage and family information make this the most complete collection from the 20th and 21st centuries - 1,100 U.S. newspapers.
- Amador County California Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Amador Co. CA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Amador Co. CA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Amador Co. CA Census Records
Amador Co. CA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Amador Co. CA Church & Bible Records
Amador Co. CA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- California Pioneer Project - The California Pioneer List (CPL) is a list of settlers to California who migrated to or were born in California prior to 1880 (included in the 1880 California Census) and obtained from those sent (e-mailed) directly from individuals doing genealogical research.
Amador Co. CA General and History Websites
Amador Co. CA Immigration & Naturalization
Amador Co. CA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Amador Co. CA Military Records
Amador Co. CA Schools & Directories