Kings County, California Genealogy
Kings County, California genealogy and family history research page. Identify links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you locate your own Kings Co., ancestors. Get going by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Kings County Quick Facts
- Government Website: http://www.countyofkings.com/
- County Seat: Hanford
- Created Date / Origin: March 22, 1893 from Tulare County
- Boundary Changes:
- Most of the county was in Mariposa County from 1850 to 1852, then in Tulare County from 1852 to 1893 when it was moved to Kings County.
- Territory in Mariposa County from 1850 to 1852, in Tulare County from 1852 to 1874, and in Fresno County from 1874 to 1876, was in Tulare County again from 1876 to 1893 when it was moved to Kings County.
- Territory in Mariposa County from 1850 to 1856, in Tulare County from 1856 to 1874, and in Fresno County from 1874 to 1876, was in Tulare County from 1876 to 1893 when it was moved to Kings County.
- Territory in Mariposa County from 1850 to 1856, was in Tulare County from 1956 to 1893 when it was moved to Kings County.
- Territory in Mariposa County from 1850 to 1856, was in Fresno County from 1856 to 1909 when it was added to Kings County.
- Territory in Mariposa County from 1850 to 1852, and in Tulare County from 1852 to 1856, was in Fresno County from 1856 to 1909 when it was added to Kings County.
- Named After: derived its name from the Kings River which, according to Padre Munoz’ diary of the Moraga Expedition of 1806, was discovered in 1805 by an exploring expedition and named Rio de los Santos Reyes (River of the Holy Kings).
- Bordering Counties: Kern County (south), Tulare County (east), Fresno County (north & northwest), Monterey County (west), San Luis Obispo County (southwest)
- Cities & Towns: Armona, Avenal, Corcoran, Hanford, Home Garden, Kettleman City, Lemoore, Lemoore Station, Stratford
- CDPs ( census-designated place) Include Armona, Home Garden, Kettleman City, Lemoore Station, Stratford
- Other Communities:
Kings County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Kings County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also California Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Kings County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the advantages of Kings County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Hidden away in California courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many California inhabitants.
The possibilities are great that your potential forefathers have left a detailed document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Kings County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Courthouse History - King's County was not officially incorporated until 1893, when it broke away from Tulare and established a county seat in Hanford. For years county offices were spread around the town, with the courts operating out of the Opera House, until supervisors approved plans for a courthouse "in granite stone [with] terra cotta trimmings and the sum of $26,000." The courts and other county offices occupied the Neoclassical Romanesque building until a new government center was constructed in 1977. The building, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is now used for offices, retail shops, and restaurants.
Remember to get in touch with the clerk's dept to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of employees will assist persons in obtaining the materials, but it's up to the person to do the research.
Some counties encompass land settled in the eighteenth century; their records pre-date county formation. Land transactions and vital records recorded in the county are at the county recorder's office. The county clerk general has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be in either place, depending on how filed.
The following facts indicates whatever marriage, birth, death, land, wills, and court records will be in Kings County. The years indicated below are considered the first widely known records for this county. Land from Fresno County was added in 1909.
- Kings County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Kings County Recorder-Clerk is s responsible for examination and recording of all documents presented for recording that deal with establishing ownership of land in the County or as required by statute; administers the real property transfer tax law and maintains a permanent record and indexes of all documents for public viewing plus providing certified copies requested by the public; recording of all lawful documents such as deeds, deeds of trust, judgments, liens, affidavits, Uniform Commercial Code Financial Statements, etc; and the filing of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.
- Phone: (559) 582-3211 Ext. 2470
- Birth / Death Records: 1893
- Marriage Records: 1893
- Land Records: 1893
- Kings County Clerk of Superior Court has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be here or in the Recorders Office, depending on how it was filed.
- Probate Records: 1893
- Court Records: 1893
- Kings County County Treasurer / Tax Collector
- California Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in California for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
California Historical Records
- Databases include California Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; California Birth, Marriage & Death Records; California Voter Lists & Census Records; California Immigration & Emigration Records; California Obituary Records; California Military Records; California Family Tree Records; California Pictures; California Stories, Memories & Histories; California Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Kings County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Kings County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is basically a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Kings County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Kings Co. CA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- See Also Statewide Newspapers, Books & Publications Links for California
- Historical Newspapers from California (1813 - 1978) (genealogybank.com) Easily identify names and keywords in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements along with other items written in over 2,800 historical U.S. newspapers. Completely new content added each month!
- Kings County, California Books (amazon.com)
- California Newspapers
- Search California Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com) Over 28 million obituaries containing helpful information such as names, dates, places of birth, death, marriage and family information make this the most complete collection from the 20th and 21st centuries - 1,100 U.S. newspapers.
- Kings County California Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Kings Co. CA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Kings Co. CA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Kings Co. CA Census Records
Kings Co. CA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Kings Co. CA Church & Bible Records
Kings Co. CA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- California Pioneer Project - The California Pioneer List (CPL) is a list of settlers to California who migrated to or were born in California prior to 1880 (included in the 1880 California Census) and obtained from those sent (e-mailed) directly from individuals doing genealogical research.
Kings Co. CA General and History Websites
Kings Co. CA Immigration & Naturalization
Kings Co. CA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Kings Co. CA Military Records
Kings Co. CA Schools & Directories