Siskiyou County, California Genealogy
Siskiyou County, California genealogy and family history research page. Identify links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you locate your own Siskiyou Co., ancestors. Get going by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Siskiyou County Quick Facts
- Government Website: http://www.co.siskiyou.ca.us/
- County Seat: Yreka
- Created Date / Origin: March 22, 1852 from Klamath County and Shasta County
- Boundary Changes:
- Territory in Trinity County from 1850 to 1851, was in Klamath County from 1851 to 1852 when it was moved to the new county.
- Territory was in Shasta County from 1850 to 1852 when it was moved to the new county.
- Territory in Trinity County from 1850 to 1851, was in Klamath County from 1851 to 1875 when, on the death of Klamath County, it was added to Siskiyou County.
- Territory in Trinity County from 1850 to 1851, and in Klamath County from 1851 to 1857, was in Del Norte County from 1857 to 1887 when it was added to Siskiyou County.
- Territory which at one time was in Siskiyou County is now in Del Norte County, Humboldt County, and Modoc County
- Named After: The origin of the word siskiyou is not known. One version is that it is the Chinook Indian word for “bob-tailed horse.” Another version, given in an argument before the state Senate in 1852, is that the French name Six Callieux, meaning “six-stone,” was given to a ford on the Umpqua River by Michel La Frambeau and a party of Hudson Bay company trappers in 1832, because six large stones or rocks lay in the river where they crossed. Still others attribute the name to a local tribe of Indians.
- Bordering Counties: Del Norte County (west), Humboldt County (southwest), Trinity County (south), Shasta County (south), Modoc County (east), Klamath County, Oregon (north), Jackson County, Oregon (north), Josephine County, Oregon (northwest)
- Cities & Towns: Yreka, Dunsmuir, Montague, Mount Shasta, Tulelake, Weed, Dorris, Etna, Fort Jones
- CDPs ( census-designated place) Include Carrick, Edgewood, Gazelle, Greenview, Grenada, Hornbrook, Macdoel, McCloud, Mount Hebron, Tennant
- Other Communities: Forks of Salmon, Happy Camp, Seiad Valley
Siskiyou County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Siskiyou County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also California Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Siskiyou County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the advantages of Siskiyou County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Hidden away in California courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many California inhabitants.
The possibilities are great that your potential forefathers have left a detailed document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Siskiyou County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Courthouse History - By order of county supervisors, Siskiyou's courthouse was to be "placed in the center of the public square in Yreka City," a foresight that residents say helped save the structure from town fires. The plaza was also the site, in 1895, of a lynching in which four men accused of murder were taken from the jail and hanged from a rail post placed between two small locust trees. The courthouse, one of the oldest in the state, remains in use and is the centerpiece of Yreka's Historic District.
Remember to get in touch with the clerk's dept to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of employees will assist persons in obtaining the materials, but it's up to the person to do the research.
Some counties encompass land settled in the eighteenth century; their records pre-date county formation. Land transactions and vital records recorded in the county are at the county recorder's office. The county clerk general has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be in either place, depending on how filed.
The following facts indicates whatever marriage, birth, death, land, wills, and court records will be in Siskiyou County. The years indicated below are considered the first widely known records for this county. Land was later added from counties Klamath (1875) and Del Norte (1887).
- Siskiyou County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Siskiyou County Recorder-Clerk is s responsible for examination and recording of all documents presented for recording that deal with establishing ownership of land in the County or as required by statute; administers the real property transfer tax law and maintains a permanent record and indexes of all documents for public viewing plus providing certified copies requested by the public; recording of all lawful documents such as deeds, deeds of trust, judgments, liens, affidavits, Uniform Commercial Code Financial Statements, etc; and the filing of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.
- Birth / Death Records: 1850 / 1873
- Marriage Records: 1852
- Land Records: 1852
- Siskiyou County Clerk of Superior Court has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be here or in the Recorders Office, depending on how it was filed.
- Probate Records: 1852
- Court Records: 1852
- Siskiyou County County Treasurer / Tax Collector
- California Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in California for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
California Historical Records
- Databases include California Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; California Birth, Marriage & Death Records; California Voter Lists & Census Records; California Immigration & Emigration Records; California Obituary Records; California Military Records; California Family Tree Records; California Pictures; California Stories, Memories & Histories; California Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Siskiyou County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Siskiyou County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is basically a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Siskiyou County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Siskiyou Co. CA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- See Also Statewide Newspapers, Books & Publications Links for California
- Historical Newspapers from California (1813 - 1978) (genealogybank.com) Easily identify names and keywords in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements along with other items written in over 2,800 historical U.S. newspapers. Completely new content added each month!
- Siskiyou County, California Books (amazon.com)
- California Newspapers
- Search California Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com) Over 28 million obituaries containing helpful information such as names, dates, places of birth, death, marriage and family information make this the most complete collection from the 20th and 21st centuries - 1,100 U.S. newspapers.
- Siskiyou County California Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Siskiyou Co. CA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Siskiyou Co. CA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Siskiyou Co. CA Census Records
Siskiyou Co. CA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Siskiyou Co. CA Church & Bible Records
Siskiyou Co. CA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- California Pioneer Project - The California Pioneer List (CPL) is a list of settlers to California who migrated to or were born in California prior to 1880 (included in the 1880 California Census) and obtained from those sent (e-mailed) directly from individuals doing genealogical research.
Siskiyou Co. CA General and History Websites
Siskiyou Co. CA Immigration & Naturalization
Siskiyou Co. CA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Siskiyou Co. CA Military Records
Siskiyou Co. CA Schools & Directories